Explanation of how the police in-car camera systems advantages:
The in car camera video system includes a front facing zoom camera, digital video recorder, LCD, and a police wireless microphone system.
Here are the 4 advantages that police car cameras have over the police-body-worn cameras.
1. The in car camera system is locked and the officer can not tamper with the video evidence. He can not change any of the video recorded in the car.
2. The car camera is activated automatically by triggers set up by the supervisors such as the light bar, siren or radar.
3. The video recordings are transmitted via wireless WiFi private network from the in-car camera system to the police headquarters server without the officer handling the original video evidence. This preserves the chain of evidence in court.
4. Key advantage in the police dash-cam or in-car video is its ability to capture a wider visual scene. The in-car camera is normally 10 to 15 feet back from the incident and this gives it a greater perspective than a body-camera.
The basics of the police body camera systems:
The body worn camera for law enforcement includes a small digital video recorder worn on the chest or head of the officer, powered by a rechargeable battery.
Here are 3 advantages of the body worn cameras:
1. The point of view is often close and onsite in a house or bar, so its very convenient.
2. The body worn camera is usually HD and the video is sharp and in the large .mp4 format.
3. The great body cameras include a feature called pre-event recording. This enables the police chief and courts to see a minute before the officer started the recorder, allowing us to see the build up to the incident.
Here are the disadvantages of the police body cameras:
1. Battery life often limited to 3 hours of continuous recording. Martels Crime camera can record close to 9 hours continuously.
2. The officer controls when the body camera record is activated and stopped. This will probably create more problems in the future than it will solve.
3. Wearable video cameras designed for police have to be pointed in the right direction to get the incident recorded correctly. So by the officer just turning in the opposite direction it defeats the body worn camera.
4. The police body camera policy needs to written in a way to not be onerous on the police officers, since the job is very stress-full and setting up video action shots should not be the biggest concern on their minds when an incident is happening in front of them.
In the recent months Martel has introduced a Hybrid Police Dash-cam system that can be used as a body-worn camera and in-car video system.